There is some significant research that bears on your protection against flu, H1N1 flu and even bird flu. There are three different issues to address: (A) How to keep from getting it; (B) What to do if you’re exposed to it; and (C) What to do if you get it.
1. Vitamin D3. One critical thing is a vitamin D3 regimen. Take 5000 IU of vitamin D3 daily. Note that most experts are converging to 5000 IU as a desired level. There is a 5000 IU capsule available at the Swanson site, www.swansonvitamins.com, product #NWF182, $6.83 for 120 capsules.
2. Zinc. Next, be sure you are getting zinc daily, at least 15 mg, or use Swanson’s #SW203, a 30 mg tablet, $2.99 for 250 tablets. Take just one every other day, although some good multi-vitamin supplements will already have this amount (15 mg) in it. By the way, any other good source of these supplements is fine – we are just giving one for convenience.
3. Flaxseed. Let me repeat the key research on the role of flaxseed and type A flu’s. What has been discovered is that flaxseed increases the expression of a protein called p53 by blocking its degradation in the cell. When viruses enter the cells, the cells counter-attack by making alpha and beta interferon which activates the p53 gene which causes the infected cell to die, preventing further viral synthesis. So influenza virus infections can be controlled by increasing p53 which is just what flaxseed does! Flaxseed increases p53 levels by inhibiting this molecule’s degradation. So flaxseed may act both as a preventive as well as a control of pre-established influenza viral infections.
Note you must use flaxseed with a high pre-lignan level. You cannot buy just any flaxseed. Purchase for example Spectrum Essentials Flaxseed. It is one of the few that states the actual amount of lignans per tablespoon (at least 98 per 2 tablespoon). It is at Swanson, as #SP027, a 15 ounce bag for $4.99 and use 2 tablespoons a day or higher (build up slowly).
B. Flu Exposure.
1. More Vitamin D3. If you were exposed to the flu, add the following to the above. First, many experts advise 50,000 IU of vitamin D3 a day for 5 days. To get this amount, you can use liquid vitamin D3. Swanson has the following product, SW1235, a bottle with 1000 drops of vitamin D3, 500 IU per drop for $9.99 per bottle. Using the drops of vitamin D3 above, take 50 drops twice a day for 4-5 days. [Note: There are about 35 drops to the quarter-teaspoon so you want a quarter-teaspoon and then an eighth-teaspoon amount for about 50-52 drops] .
2. Colloidal Silver. Second, take 2 teaspoons of colloidal silver three times a day for 4 days. This is a natural anti-viral and anti-bacterial agent. Use Swanson’s product #ABL001, $12.59 for 8 ounces. Third, add Olive Leaf Extract, a natural anti-viral and anti-bacterial agent. Use Swanson’s high-potency product #SWH139, $10.49 for 60 capsules. Take 2 a day for 10 days.
3. Beta glucans. There is one more thing for both exposure or potential exposure such as taking any airline flight. The re-circulated air on the plane as well as the well-documented bacterial-laden water increase your exposure phenomenally. So add a capsule of beta glucans twice a day, starting a full day before your trip, or when you were exposed, to a full day after the trip [and all in between] or after the exposure. This product in some stores can be very expensive. They are taking advantage of you. Consider Swanson’s product called BetaRight, SWU187, $15.99 for 60 capsules and take one in the morning and one in the evening. Some stores charge $70 for this product – be aware.
C. Fighting the Flu.
1. Add vitamin A. If you get the flu, do all of the above (and do the D3 and the colloidal silver for 4 more days) plus add the following. Take 90,000 units of vitamin A (not beta carotene) daily for a week. Swanson has product #SW001, a 10,000 IU capsule, $2.99 for 250 and take 3 capsules, three times a day
2. Sambucus. Second add Sambucus, an elderberry extract that has been demonstrated in well-designed trials to be anti-viral. Take 1 tablespoon every 4 hours. Order Swanson’s #NW666, an 8 ounce bottle for $13.97 (it will last 4 days).
3. Resveratrol. Finally, a crucial addition is resveratrol. A 2005 study showed it inhibited the influenza-A virus from replicating! Get Swanson’s #SWU282, a 50 mg capsule, $12.99 for 30 capsules. Take 3 capsules a day.
Plan ahead of time to stock at least one complete anti-flu “first aid packet” just in case it is needed. It is usually too late to start to order after your are knee-deep into flu.
Note – we have no connection with Swanson’s Vitamin Company which we have identified above [www.swansonvitamins.com or call 800-437-4148]. They are simply one reliable quality firm. Other excellent firms include Puritan’s Pride, Vitacost.com, and Life Extension Foundation. We have just identified Swanson products to give you a concrete guide if you wish one.